It is hard to believe that we are nearing the end of the third week. I can't say that I'm really getting used to Nairobi since I still find some things jarring: bumpy roads, traffic, pollution, water shortages, random blackouts, insecurity, walled communities, street children, the feeling of being in a minority group no matter where I go... I think the symposium will be a great time for us to begin to process our experiences in more depth and to talk about the similar themes that surfaced in the fieldwork of different participants. We'll also do the collaborative service project next week. Since we can't go to Garissa we have been exploring other options and have decided to go back to the IDP camp near Naivasha. We'll be going up there for the day on Tuesday, bringing first aid supplies, sanitary pads, clothing, school supplies, chickens, and goats. We're still trying to find a good deal on the chickens and goats. I'll keep you posted!
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Symposium Dinner
It is hard to believe that we are nearing the end of the third week. I can't say that I'm really getting used to Nairobi since I still find some things jarring: bumpy roads, traffic, pollution, water shortages, random blackouts, insecurity, walled communities, street children, the feeling of being in a minority group no matter where I go... I think the symposium will be a great time for us to begin to process our experiences in more depth and to talk about the similar themes that surfaced in the fieldwork of different participants. We'll also do the collaborative service project next week. Since we can't go to Garissa we have been exploring other options and have decided to go back to the IDP camp near Naivasha. We'll be going up there for the day on Tuesday, bringing first aid supplies, sanitary pads, clothing, school supplies, chickens, and goats. We're still trying to find a good deal on the chickens and goats. I'll keep you posted!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
(Marianne here)This is great, able to follow your experiences. What an excellent idea to give Sister Anne a bag with President Obama’s picture. I understand that is a huge commodity there!! You stated “...no matter where you go you feel like the minority...” This generates a lot of dialogue and wander on my part...
ReplyDelete